Latvia citizenship through naturalization
The number of foreigners naturalizing for citizenship in Latvia reached its peak in 2005 when Latvia became a EU member state in 2004. After 2006 the number of foreigners acquiring citizenship in Latvia fell dramatically. After 2014, the citizenship rules were tightened since then Latvia only issues less than 1000 citizenships every year.
More than 60% of the foreigners obtaining citizenship in Latvia are Russians.
- Latvia joined as EU member country since 1 May 2004
- Latvia became Euro area member since 1 January 2014
- Latvia became Schengen area member since 21 December 2007
To become a citizen of Latvia under a naturalisation process, the following conditions have to be met
- Fluent in the Latvian language,
- Successfully passed the examination of basic principles of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia, the text of the National Anthem, and the basics of the history and culture of Latvia
Alien’s passport issued to the non-citizen`s of the Republic of Latvia.
Citizenship Statistics for 2018
As from January 1, 2018 to November 30, 2018, has received 1 066 applications for the admission of Latvian citizenship through naturalization. Including applicants:
- Females 51.6%, Males -48.4%.
- Lithuanians and Estonians 4.4%, Russians 65.8%, Poles 4.0%, Belarussians 9.7%, Ukrainians 9.1%, other-6.4%.
- 64.9% Latvian citizenship pretendents have passed the examination of proficiency in the
- Latvian language, 79.4% have passed the examination of the history of Latvia.
- 784 persons have been granted the citizenship of Latvia accordance with degrees of Cabinet of Ministers, including 35 underage children.